[drivingpairs] Adam, the horse with too much giddyup

  • From: "Helen G. Roeder" <sunshinefarm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Pairs List" <drivingpairs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 15 May 2006 15:06:13 -0500

Carla,
I'm certainly not an expert, but I don't believe in artificial means to train
horses, especially driving horses.

Adam sounds like he may need some special attention that can be worked out over
time.   Maybe the other horses is allowing him to move forward so he can do all
the pulling.   Do you think that could be a possibility?   Sometimes there
seems to be that problem with a pair.   See if getting Ansel to move on up with
Adam, doesn't solve the problem with Adam.  Does Adam understand the command
you use for 'walk'?   I'd try some individual attention with him before I'd go
to using some mechanical means.   Then when he goes as you want him to, praise
the heck out of him, and rub his butt with the whip as you would do with your
hand, could you reach him.   When a horse is ridden, it's so easy to put your
hand on them to give the a pat to let them know they did good.   In driving, we
can't very well do that.   I use the whip for that all the time.   It's an
extension of your arm.

By all means, keep trying to find the right combination for Adam and keep us
posted.
Helen