[dokuwiki] Re: huge attic

  • From: "Dr. Martin Meggle-Freund" <martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 09 Nov 2005 00:48:00 +0100

This sounds good. Using rcs should be really reasonable but as such would not solve my problem. However, it should be possible to adapt the 'older versions' list such that it merges subsequent changes in exactly the same way as the 'recent changes' list does.

Just to give you an impression of the size of this problem:

My wiki (http://www.ipwiki.de) now has 3.5M of pages. The attic makes up 28M, the changes.log has 468k (the wiki exists not longer than about four months; I admit that there has been heavy work on the content in the last weeks)

Christoph Schindler schrieb:
On Tue, Nov 08, 2005 at 08:26:09PM +0100, Redeeman wrote:

On Tue, 2005-11-08 at 11:20 +0100, Dr. Martin Meggle-Freund wrote:

Typically, users hit the save button a number of times during an edit session instead of using the preview option.

Is there a way to reduce the amount of data in the attic by merging changes made by the same user in such subsequent edit sessions?

I would be interested to know how others are dealing with this issue.

What about using rcs? The complete history of a page would be contained
in one file and between versions only the differences would be stored.

One of stated features of dokuwiki is that pages are stored as plain
text files, so that you can get to them when the server is down.. I
don't know if that has to hold for the archived versions as well. (Andi,
maybe you could comment on this?)

If so, one could probably offer both features without too much
programming effort.

i simply use the preview option, its what its there for..

i dont think there should be anything to clean it up, dokuwiki already
has the preview feature, if people do not use it they are using it
wrong, unless they want the many revisions

Well... I guess that would work... not.

Regards, Martin

bye!hop