[dokuwiki] Re: graphics in articles

  • From: "Martin Tschofen" <martin.tschofen@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 07:53:10 -0600

Have you looked if any of these could do the trick? ...martin

  - http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:ditaa

  - http://wiki.ioslo.net/dokuwiki/graphviz

  - http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:draw

  - http://wiki.splitbrain.org/plugin:freemind

On 1/25/07, Jay Dickon Glanville <dickon.glanville@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hello All,

We're considering using DokuWiki internally as our document
repository, storing feature design and specification documents, and
the like.  We're currently using the standard source-code repository
(SVN) and Word combination.  One of the strongest arguments against
using DokuWiki is the fact that the whole image-creation-edit cycle is
outside of the DokuWiki environment.

Let me give an example.  In Word, if I want to include a diagram in
the document, I simply open up the drawing tool-bar and start drawing.
If I'm editing a document and need to change the existing drawing, I
do the same.  Also, the image and the document are tightly paired (if
I email the document to a customer, the image travels with the
document automatically).

Compare this with DokuWiki.  To include a chart in an article, I need
to open up an external drawing program (like Dia for example), draw,
save it, and then export it as PNG.  I then upload the image and then
include a reference to that image in my article.  Now, if I need to
edit that image, I need to find the source of that file (remember, the
source isn't in DokuWiki), edit it and then upload it.

So, the argument my team is having is that it's far more convenient to
use an editor with a built-in graphics editor and suffer the
inconveniences of using SVN/Word, then it is to use a wiki
environment.  Now, I'm NOT suggesting that DokuWiki try to embed some
form of graphics editing suite in the product -- that just isn't
feasible or realistic.

One thing that did catch my eye is the Graphvis plugin
(http://wiki.ioslo.net/dokuwiki/graphviz).  Unfortunately, it's very
out of date.  However, the concept of having an image's source be part
of the article as text is an excellent idea.

Ok.  Sorry for the long lead-up.  Here's my question: what can I do to
make articles-with-images easier for my team?  Also, what is the best
way to ensure that an image's source stays with the image?

Thanks all.

--
Jay Dickon Glanville