[dokuwiki] breadcrumbs looks like : index - index - index - index

  • From: peter pilsl <pilsl@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 2006 22:27:23 +0200

I choose to name each defaultpage in a subfolder "index". This leads to the sad thing that - when the breadcrumb lists the last visited page - almost every page is named equally "index".

I have a similar problem when not using a defaultpage: The more pages in many subfolders I have the more the breadcrumblist becomes useless.

In a installation with ~1000 pages I've about 50 pages called "todo" and many called "functions" and even more called "faq"

A technical solution for the index-problem would be to replace the linkname index with the name of its parent-folder. This would be nice and I remember already having read about such a patch, but could not find it now.

A maybe better solution would be to improve the whole breadcrumb-feature by adding the full "path" to the linkname. Of course this would need much more space, so I was thinking about a similar convention like used in newsgroup-naming. de.rec.outdoors becomes d.r.outdoors then when place is insufficiant to display the whole thing. Or maybe we should also think about an intelligent breadcrumb-list that names the first different directorypart (read from the left) compared to the current page.

ie.

my breadcrumblist is like

sub1.sub2.sub3.index
sub1.sub1.sub1.index
sub1.sub2.sub4.peter

and I'm currently in sub1.sub2.sub4.franz

then the names for the above breadbrumbs would be:

sub3   (cause sub1.sub2 are equal to current page)
sub1   (cause no equal parts -> we take the first)
peter  (cause sub1.sub2.sub4 are equal)

dont know if this would make sense. Just an idea how to get the breadcrumb-chaos sorted out.

thnx,
peter

ps: why isnt dokuwiki done in perl? this is finally a project I would really like to join ;)

--
mag. peter pilsl
goldfisch.at