[dokuwiki] adding autobackup saving

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 6 Mar 2006 21:39:23 +0100

Hi *!

I'm just thinking about adding the gmail style autobackup thingy I
talked about a few weeks ago. Short reminder: when a logged in user
edits a page, her work is saved in the background automatically every
minute. If her browser crashes or something else happens she can later
return to the last autosaved state of a document.

Adding the background save was simple. Just a few lines more to the
lockrefresh code.

The complicated part is the workflow of continuing the lost edit
session. I'm not sure how to integrate this best. Here are some
questions bothering me:

1) I currently only save one backup per user. Is this a good idea?

Probably not. Multiple open browser windows would destroy overwrite
each others backup file.

2) how and when to notify the user about her dangling backup files?

A message at the top could give the user a message about unfinished
backups on all pages. (this could be technically the most expensive
version)

The message could be displayed only when she visits the page the draft
is for. (easy)

We could display a message on pressing the edit of the affected page
button only. (somewhat more easy because we this anyway)

3) I always save the whole document in the backup (this is needed for
continuing the edit session) When the user continues the backed up
document. Should the whole doc be loaded or the section edited only?

This is just a decision of taste, technically both things are fine.

4) should we add some cleanup mechanism for old backups? When to delete
a backup file?

if a newer document revision exists?

if the newer document revision is X days older than the backup?

if the backup is older than X days?

I'd like to get your input on these things. I want to keep this feature
as simple as possible please keep this in mind when making suggestions.