[dokuwiki] Re: Suggestions - novice users

  • From: "Andreas Gohr" <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Dec 2008 22:54:28 +0100

> Thanks all for your advice, but I think I need to look for another
> solution.
>
> I don't think it is practical to educate our 400+ members about anything. And
> as for getting them to think...

Never underestimate the users. When you explain them *why* something
is how it is and what the benefits are they should be able to
understand.

If they still don't understand then a Wiki or any software might not
be the right tool for *them*. Maybe you should talk to their
secretaries instead ;-)

However it could also be that they don't *want* do understand because
they don't want a wiki, but for entirely different reasons. A board of
directors is a bunch of people that got their position by being the
ones in the know. Their entire career is based on having more
knowledge than others (or at least being able to pretend that). Asking
them to share their knowledge in a wiki is maybe not what they really
want, but would never admit (nobody admits to be a bad team player).

That's just a few ideas... not sure if they fit with your situation.
If this is for a business, then I'd suggest to hire a consultant to
help you with the wiki introduction. Managers usually are more willing
to listen to "outsider experts" especially when they pay them for
their advice ;-)

splitbrain.org