[dokuwiki] Re: Some notes for our GSoC students...

  • From: esha choukse <eshachoukse.iitkgp@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 27 Mar 2011 13:27:57 +0530

Hi

I was pondering over the merge project too, and was thinking for a
tree-document based approach for it... Anyways I saw the 3-way merge and it
seems great too.

I would like to add here though, that it would be nice to be able to *track
changes* too. This is something that google docs at present lacks. There
could be something like a track changes button which would highlight all the
changes done in the document one by one... maybe colour coded as per the
user who made the changes... this is something i have yearned for while
using the google docs.

I think PHP is the best option here.. over javascript and an impressive UI
would be great.

On 27 March 2011 03:05, Michael Hamann <michael@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Excerpts from Andreas Gohr's message of 2011-03-26 12:55:21 +0100:
> [...]
> > Additionally to the idea focused discussions we already have, I'd like
> > to point you in a few general directions.
>
> and I've wanted to do that already, too, so I'll just add some points
> here.
>
> First of all: I've changed the merge idea
> (http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:ideas:merge) quite a lot because I've
> discovered a pure PHP 3-way merge implementation. Be sure to read it
> again if you are considering applying for that idea.
>
> Some pages some of you probably haven't discovered yet that you should
> read if you want to code for DokuWiki are:
> - http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:events for our event system
> - http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:javascript for how we're doing the
>  integration of JavaScript
> - http://www.dokuwiki.org/devel:configuration for our configuration
>  system
>
> Then concerning the actual application: Try to submit it early, you'll
> be able to update it later and we can provide you feedback before the
> deadline so you can include our feedback on your application in the
> application. You can also send us your application before the
> application period opens, at least I'm open for that (I don't know what
> the other mentors think about it). You can find additional tips at
>
> http://code.google.com/p/google-summer-of-code/wiki/AdviceforStudents#Writing_Your_Application
>
> You should really share your ideas here on the mailinglist, you don't
> need to go into every detail here (but you should do that at least for
> some aspects in your application) so the other students still have
> something to think about (but you still can, I'm actually thinking some
> of you should share more of their ideas ;) ). Discussing your ideas
> helps everybody and if two students should come up with exactly the same
> ideas we'll have a look at the mailinglist who actually had these ideas.
> The main part of the application should be not just to name some ideas
> and buzzwords but to really show us that you've understood the idea and
> you'll be able to implement that idea.
>
> As some of you have already asked me about the number of students we can
> accept here some explanations: We can define an upper bound (that will
> be basically the number of students we'll be able to mentor) and then
> Google assigns us a number of slots that is based upon the number of
> applications for DokuWiki and some other factors. I'm currently
> expecting something between 3 and 5.
>
> If you should be interested in some general information about DokuWiki
> and its history, I can recommend you the podcast about DokuWiki by
> Pierre Spring discussing with Andreas Gohr and Anika Henke that can be
> found at http://pierrespring.com/2010/11/13/discussion-2-dokuwiki/.
>
> Michael
> --

Regards
Esha Choukse
Third Year Undergraduate Student
Department of Electronics and Electrical Communication Engg.
IIT Kharagpur