[dokuwiki] Re: Reject template if plugin does not exist?

  • From: "Terence J. Grant" <tjgrant@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 16:07:34 -0500

Hi Håkan,

The template is monobook, the plugin is displaywikipage.

> I'm not found of plugins/templates that require me to install another
> software. To make administration easy (an important feature in DokuWiki) I
> prefer an all-inclusive download/installation.

Hmm well see you can't currently bundle templates and plugins
together, and I'm not sure that's the direction I want to go with
anyway; I like the modularity of the separation.

> Is the plugin really required?

My opinion: in theory, "no," in reality, "yes."

A good majority of the users either forget to install the plugin or
are not reading the instructions and are confused why the
functionality is missing.

I've been wondering for a while now how I would go about closing that
loop and fix that problem.

Two things I can think of:

1. Javascript:alert("Hey, you forgot to install...");
  * Too annoying, intrusive, invasive, etc, and just wrong.
2. Insert something into the message area
  * Don't think this is possible once template processing starts though.

So I'm stumped, and I'm open to ideas w.r.t. "alerting the user."

Perhaps that gives a better indication of what I'm looking at.

Thanks,
--
--Terence J. Grant