[dokuwiki] Re: Performance issues

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 14:43:40 +0000

Mario Emmenlauer wrote:

Hi,

Did you see the thread on utf8_substr I posted earlier this week?
By replacing the utf8_substr() function with standard-php substr()
in feed.php, load on my server dropped from 100 down to almost zero.
This is because utf8_substr uses a perl_replace for all caracters in
a page just to guess correct page-lenght.

But noone seemed to care to much.

Note: This only applies if you have people visiting your feed.php,
check your apache logs.

Cheers,
  Mario

Yann wrote:
I am sorry to have to point that out again; but I think we should focuse
on a stable release of dokuwiki before adding new features to the next
release. Dokuwiki is actually _not usable_ on a large wiki; I also
suspect the code to have (nearly-?)endless loops somewhere in it.
I am using a standard installation of dokuwiki and if often causes a
load of 20 until you kill dokuwiki's php process. Am I really the only
one encountering such problems?

I don't think noone cares, its most likely that quite a bit of effort was put into finalising things for the recent release and then the hotfix. After that template and plugin providers probably needed to update their work, I know I did. Now its complete, the lull is most likely people taking care of other parts of their lives.

On topic:
- I notice that the RSS feed is the one thing that significantly affects my wiki server.