[dokuwiki] Re: New release and DokuWiki efficiency improvements + GeSHi output caching

  • From: Chris Smith <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 19:07:41 +0100

Terence J. Grant wrote:

Hi Chris,

If you're looking at bottlenecks, I have a couple that I would like to
know about based on my knowledge of the last stable release...

"Compress CSS and javascript files"; I am of the opinion that the
benefits probably don't outweigh the costs... is this a potential
bottleneck?

I don't use dokuwiki's compression, but apache's deflate handler. I will take a look at what the performance hit is, but I doubt its significant either way. The files aren't particularly big and the processing is not complex. The files are cached anyways, so its highly unlikely there is any sort of impact on the webserver or the client browser.
Also, is css.php returning a cached file? Does its time stamp change
each time its called, or is it considered "no-cache"? If so there
could be some serious bandwidth issues here as well as the browser
would be cacheing the file otherwise...
Yes they are cached, they communicate properly with the browser returning appropriate http codes to tell the browser if it should use its copy or not. I doubt the cache file is timestamped on each use, it wouldn't be necessary. Both css.php and js.php have appropriate logic to determine whether their cached version is current. In a stable DokuWiki installation, there is no reason why each css or js file would be generated more than once. Given that once is most likely for the wikiadmin during installation, changing of configuration or plugins, there is not likely to be any impact on other visitors.

Or if you're certain these are ok, that's good too; this is just something I've been wanting to investigate myself but I don't think I'll have time before a new release...
Its not difficult, browse the source on line - splitbrain has the details. Since you only need to follow the cache success track, you're only looking at about 100 lines of php. Probably less than in this thread already ;-)

Cheers,

Chris