[dokuwiki] Re: Improving RSS performance (sorry!)

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 23:29:55 +0200

On Fri, 16 Sep 2005 16:18:11 -0500 (CDT)
"Joe Lapp" <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> > (4) When a page is rendered, we create an md5 file with extension .f
> > containing the RSS description for the page, unless the .f file
> > already exists.  When saving a page's new instructions, we delete
> > the page's .f file.  (Drawback: the description reflects the current
> > file and not the cited revision.)

I'm not sure if I like this idea for just the drawback you mentioned.

> This eliminates the biggest remaining resource drain, after the
> rsort(): instead of deserializing all of the instruction files into
> object trees, concatenating them together into HTML, and stripping
> tags, we just load this stuff already predone.

1) If the page was cached already (second stage) we have a xhtml plain
file, no objects, no deserialization involved.

2) Did you try and prove the deserialisation/object creation is the
problem? Any benchmarks? I just want to be sure we're not fixing the
wrong stuff.

There was a request some time ago to use diffs in the RSS summaries
which might be the faster way anyway. Even directly accessing the main
source could be an idea - ignoring the problems that may arise
(eg. unprocessed plugins).

BTW: I'd like to remind you on the main usage of DokuWiki as wiki for
(company internal) documentation - so people usually are not interested
in what the page is generally about but what has changed (this is only
different when the page is created).

http://www.splitbrain.org