[dokuwiki] minor edit discussion

  • From: Andreas Gohr <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 17 Sep 2005 22:51:58 +0200

Hi all!

Hadn't much time for dokuwiki the last two days (real life likes to
interfere), so I only answered the quick to answer mails...

I just read all your discussions on minor edits. Here are a few
thoughts and decisions.

I will not make summaries required (was discussed a few month ago) that
why we have the background color change to remind you on the summary.

I will most certainly not add a JavaScript popup for the summary. That's
just wrong from a usability standpoint.

I like to use the minor checkbox for two things: minimize mails for
subscribers and minimize changes in RSS. The admin notify should always
get all changes.

All changes regardless of minor or major should get logged and should be
shown in the page revision page.

I think using a checkbox is common usage in other Wikiengines and seems
to work for them.

What I don't know yet and I think it wasn't discussed yet is the default
state of this checkbox. I'd like to defer the minor checkbox to the next
release to get some time for research: How do other Wiki engines handle
this? There a lot of clever people who already thought about this.

Please do NOT reply to this mail unless you really have to say something
new on this discussion (eg. a pointer to a similar discussion from other
Wikis or a description how other Wikis handle minor edits).

http://www.splitbrain.org