[dokuwiki] Re: Experiences in Scalability

  • From: Tim Bayer <tim.bayer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: dokuwiki@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 21 Oct 2005 15:37:32 -0500

On 10/21/05, Joe Lapp <joe.lapp@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> We don't have any hard numbers yet. Given some of the goings on in the
> code, my personal opinion is that there's a lot of room for improvement on
> the scalability front.
>
> It would be wise to do a scalability test before committing to DokuWiki
> (and we'd love to hear what you learn). Virtually every server is going to
> scale better on better hardward, so it's a question of how far can you get
> on the hardware you'll be using.
>
> I plan to do some scalability testing but don't know when I'll get around
> to it. I believe that it would be pretty easy to get a significant
> improvement over whatever scalability DokuWiki now has.

Thanks for the quick reply, How would you recommend doing a scalability
test? Is it as simple as loading a ton of namespaces with lots of documents,
or is there a more accurate way to benchmark this?

Once I begin the benchmark testing, are there any sources/websites/docs you
recommend I look for information on improving the performance?

Thanks for the help, if I feel I'm getting accurate results I can post them
so others can see, I would like to try and improve DokuWiki anyway I can, I
think this is a great project.
Thanks,
Tim