[directmusic] Re: Note sustain cuts off after second looping of the sequence

  • From: "James Dooley" <jdooley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2002 09:45:08 -0800

DirectMusic handles overlapping notes (which you are using) by just
watching the MIDI note on and note off events, which may cause
unexpected results if you're not used to dealing with MIDI.  What you
are doing is generating this at the MIDI level (assuming you're playing
a C4):

Bar  Beat  MIDI message
1    1     C4 Note on
5    1     C4 Note on
8    4.999 C4 Note off (from the note on at bar 1, beat 1).   This cuts
off both notes.
9    1     C4 Note on
12   4.999 C4 Note off (from the note on at bar 5, beat 1).   This cuts
off both notes.
13   1     C4 Note on
etc.

You'll note that this effectively means that the notes are just four
measures long.  This was deemed a better behavior than having
DirectMusic try and guess which Note On the Note Off should apply to
(the synthesizer has no way of knowing if it applies to the one from bar
1 or from bar 5).

I can think of two possible other ways of doing this that should work:
1) In the DLS collection, set the release phase of the instruments to as
long as possible.  This should allow the instruments to complete
themselves, even after the MIDI note off message cuts them off early.
However, this keep you from being able to "cut off" the notes abruptly.
2) Try looping a 8 measure segment (plus 4 "extension" bars), with a
note on PChannel X starting at bar 1, beat 1, with a duration of 8
measures, and another note on PChannel Y starting at bar 5, beat 1, with
a duration of 8 measures.  This will keep the notes from overlapping
each other.

-james

rights.