[directmusic] Re: Intro and Containers

  • From: "Ciaran Walsh" <ciaran@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 8 Nov 2002 12:04:36 -0000

Hey Paul,

wilkommen, bienvenue ;)

First of all, reference / embed runtime (this applies to scripts too, which
are a kind of container in a way and my answers are referring to scripts. I
believe that the same rules apply to containers in general though):

It's more or less as it sounds - reference runtime points to a separate
runtime file, so you need to include that file along with your script file.
embed runtime will, erm, embed the file in the runtime version of the script
(or container) file. Try embedding a DLS collection, exporting the runtime
and look at the file size - you'll see it's appropriately bigger.

Embedding is useful if you have a single script file, and you want to
deliver all your content as a single runtime file. It just makes everything
a bit more tidy.

Referencing is useful if you want to share content between different script
files (for different levels for example), or in my experience if you are
delivering changes incrementally over a remote network and you don't want to
be checking in unnecessary extra stuff each time.

I have also run into problems where I have a project that uses multiple
cross-referenced scripts. I tried various ways of embedding everything but
couldn't figure out a way to do it without doubling up on shared content,
and suffered from loads of bugs.

The other situation where you don't want to embed would be if you are using
streaming. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong but as I understand it,
embedded files will always be loaded straight away - they are part of the
same file after all...

As to how non-script containers should best be used, I'm sure someone else
can fill you in. I've never used them myself, but as far as I know the
reference / embed stuff works the same.

Cheers,
Ciaran