[directmusic] Re: DLS sources?

  • From: "Scott Morgan" <scott@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <directmusic@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Nov 2002 14:17:48 -0600

I've spent a lot of frustrating time on this issue.  I'd love to comment,
but I'm not sure I should speak for these companies' policies just yet.
It's very complicated since some sample sets are licensed from various other
sample sets....Many companies have no idea what DirectMusic is and haven't
figured out their stance yet.  Be aware that no company is going to be happy
with DLS sets in a game that aren't protected from being opened in AWave or
Producer.

Oh also, I don't know of ANY companies that sell high quality instruments in
DLS format.  Sonic Implants use to sell some decent Woodwind DLS
instruments, but no longer = | .  All the stuff I am using has been
painstakingly converted and optimized by me.

For starters I'll say that Sweetwater has told me that there is no issue
with using their content as long as it can't be opened.  I like to use some
of their orchestral samples for the K2500.  I convert them to DLS using
Awave.  I'll ask some of the other guys I've been dealing with what its ok
to say on this list.  Hopefully  I'll be able to get back to you guys on it
soon.

Actually it would be even better if you guys would contact the companies and
find out for yourselves. It really sucks and is a pain, but the more times
these guys have to answer the questions we have, the more consideration they
will have to give us and the more they will understand our situation.  Don't
be intimidated by the license contract on some of these sets.  For instance,
the most aggressive and intimidating license I saw was for a set that I am
now using because I asked the head of the company if I could.  There's
another company that expressly forbids DLS usage, but when I contacted them
they were willing to work out a deal.  Then there are companies that
completely refuse to work anything out.  Then again, if you offer the right
price you can probably make anything happen.  I'm just a newbie so I don't
have a huge budget like that.

I'll get back to you with some names if I can.

-Scott Morgan
http://Morganstudios.com