[delphizip] Re: deflate

  • From: Gerard <gslurink@xxxxxx>
  • To: delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Jul 2004 21:15:25 +0300

Hi Eric,

At 20:51 20.07.2004, you wrote:
>Since you're using linux, I would use gzip in a pipe. That's the way
>it's done in the unix/linux world. Why would you want to roll your
>own compression/decompression when there's a pretty good program
>that works already?

True, if possible, for sure.

>It looks like you want it to work in both Windows and linux.

That's correct

>You can use pipes in Windows, too, but I haven't done it myself.
>Describe your application - is this something to handle nonvisual
>service requests, or does it need to work with regular web pages?
>Does it have to inter-operate with other systems?

Ok, the idea is fairly simple. The application is a http proxy. The proxy
retrieves regular web pages on behalf of the client (IE) and will scan it
before it forwards it, and possibly do some modifications to the page .
Now, when pages are received compressed I cannot read them in the proxy and
therefore I need to decompress them first.
I am unsure yet if I will forward the pages after that to the client
compressed or uncomporessed, probably it does not matter so much. (proxy
may be on the local machine or somewhere on the LAN)

BTW. I just bumped into the zlib.pas unit that is included with Delphi. It
contains a TDecompressionStream object that I maybe can use ?  Anyone
experience with that ?

Gerard