[delphizip] Re: Gone are the days of Sharing Folders

  • From: "Engler, Eric" <Eric.Engler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <delphizip@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 4 Oct 2005 10:16:25 -0400

No problem. I just don't like companies who assume that Windows does
everything wrong.=20

NTFS security controls access to files in a filesystem. The Security tab
of the property window in Explorer lets you specify which network users
are allowed to access folders. We typically put users into groups to
make it easier to manage, and we specify rights based on groups. NTFS
security is extremely good and trustworthy.=20

You can also set NTFS perms on individual files but this is harder to
manage - we typically use this option to control access to critical
configuration files that might be located in a folder that many people
need write access to (like web.config in an ASP.NET website).

File Share security is basically a mask used to regulate permissions of
users who access the folder using a UNC pathname. This is sometimes
helpful, but the underlying NTFS security is still in play. In my
company we typically "open up" file share permissions and we use NTFS
security to control the real access people get. This avoids problems
where people can sometimes access a folder using different UNC paths -
the underlying NTFS security will always work regardless of how people
get to the files.

In all honesty, NTFS is one of the most secure features of Windows and
it is normally more secure than any kind of "roll it yourself" security
options. And it's much easier to set up and use because Microsoft did
the hard work for you!