[ddots-l] Re: divisi notes

  • From: "Dan Rugman" <danrugman@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Mar 2007 22:07:14 -0000

Hi Sarah,

How you lay this out depends a little on the pagination.  If the split passage
starts on a new line then its easiest to introduce a second stave.  Lable the
first one S1 and the second S2.

If its only for a bar or two then keep everything on the same stave but have
the stems up for the firsts and stems down for the seconds.  As far as Sibelius
is concerned, this means voice 1 for S1 and voice 2 for S2.  If S1 and S2 are
homophonic then you only need lyrics under the stave but if the passage is
polyphonic then you'll need words above the stave for the S1 part as well.

AS for the divisi instruction, which you did spell correctly, You wont need to
write it because the directions of the stems make it clear that the parts have
split.  If possible you should try to put the text S1 above the stave and S2
below just in front of the lyrics.  This isn't strictly necessary but it makes
it absolutely clear what's happening.

Incidentally, divisi is most commonly used to show that a string section should
divide instead of double stopping.  You might also use it in an orchestral
score before splitting one stave into two.  However, I can't remember ever
having seen  it in a vocal part.  If you need to use it you would only need to
write "div.".

Hope this helps,

Dan