[ddots-l] Re: converting midi tracks to audio

  • From: "Phil Muir" <philmuir1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 17:58:42 -0000

I think You use Bounce to tracks in order to mix audio from several tracks to
one.

You use bounce to clips if you want all of the clips to be mixed into one wave
form.  For example,
When recording vocals, you may want to delete any unwanted noise from the
singers mic when the
guitar solo is being played.  Or, you may have started and finished the vocal
recording a few bars
earlier than you need to.  So, you could select the track then, press function
key F9 at the start
of the section of audio that you wish to delete and function key F10 at the
end.  You could then
delete the audio by pressing the delete key.  You now won't be able to hear the
audio that you had
selected for deletion in your project.   However, although you can't actually
here it any more, it's
still part of the wave form on that track.  So, we now need to divorce the
deleted audio from the
rest of the wave form that you wish to keep.  To do this, go to the start of
the project, select the
track that you have been working on then, press function key F9 a the start of
the project and
function key F10 at the end.  You would then use the "apply trimming" command
in order to separate
the unwanted audio.  You would then choose "bounce to clips.  Now only the
audio that you actually
need is left on the track.  You could  then save the project, reopen Sonar and
go to the tools menu
and choose the "clean audio disk" command in order to remove any redundant wave
files.  I do this
all the time on vocal tracks.  I also do it when recording guitar or, bass
tracks.  I find removing
the unwanted audio, using the "apply trimming command and bouncing to clips,
causes the projects to
load faster.  I also seem to get less problems with latency too.

Regards, Phil Muir

P J Muir Productions