[ddots-l] Sonar CPU Meter

  • From: Chris Smart <csmart8@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: midimag@xxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2011 16:44:49 -0400

Hi folks.

I'm using Sonar Producer 8.53 x 64, CakeTalking, Windows 7 etc.

I'm beta testing some software which appears, at least in Sonar, to bee a CPU hog, and I need to report this to the company.

Sonar reports CPU usage around 50% when I have the plug-in inserted on the master bus. However, when I go into Windows Task Manager and read the bottom line, I get CPU values ranging from 18-27%, definitely nothing near 50%.

So, does anybody know why there is a big discrepancy here? Is one showing overall CPU usage while another is maybe showing usage for one or two cores? I have a quad-core CPU.

Heck, just for fun, I loaded a ton of plug-ins on a project, until I get serious audio glitches. CakeTalking reports CPU around 98-99% in Sonar, but back in Task Manager, it barely gets to 50%, usually ranging in the 40's.

what's going on here?

Chris