[ddots-l] ADK Laptop questions

  • From: "Phil Halton" <philhalt@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "ddots-l" <ddots-l@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 19:34:02 -0500

Well, the ADK laptop finally arrived. I have set it up as best as I know how(for now), and networked it with my older laptop via a linksys router. To those new owners of these machines I would like to ask a few questions:

1 What, if any, of the preloaded software have you cleared out of the system and what have you kept? I'm talking about the system startup items.

2) I assume that if I don't use the ADK for web browsing, or use email then I am safe as can be expected. Am I right on this? I have antivirus and spyware protection on it now. It is connected to the web via my network, and can access the web for registrations and update downloads etc, but I expect that not using Internet Explorer or outlook will be sufficient to stay clear of most problems.

3) I'll be needing another soundcard as the echo indigo is a physical mismatch as far as blocking other plugs etc when installed. I'll be going with a USB soundcard most likely and wonder if there are any suggestions.

finally, forgive my scattered email--I've been working on these two machines for hours and I'm getting a little squirrely. Any "heads up" for this machine will be greatly appreciated.

I must say though, It is a great looking and responsive machine. And, of course, I had to re-authorize jaws twice so far because of the Tranzport and God knows what else.