[dd251] Water Mist Systems

  • From: "William" <william@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dd251@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2003 17:36:57 -0000

To all members

I have read the recent e-mail on water mist sytems and have a few questions
that many people have asked.I am also astounded that the word guarantee for any
sprinkler system is used. The principals of a life safety system is based on
risk as there will never be a guarantee of electric or water.

QUESTIONS

1) What pressure rating does the system work at

2) Does all the pipework comply with DD252 or UL listing and also comply with
the manufactures requirements.

3) Are mist sprinkler heads listed for residential use any where in the world.

4) Are there blockages within the system over a period of time /or is it dry

5) Systems like these used in the states have failed through leakage of
diaphram seals this is probably because of maintenance issues

6) Cross contamination with water ( has the system got the relevant approvals
from the relevant authorites) This is a legal requirement

7) Are the fire retardent agents used within the system ok for the water
authorites and manufacturers of products used

8) Can the system operate at full capacity for 10 minutes as in the NFPA 13D or
DD251 standard.

To my knowledge water mist systems are currently being fitted to domestic
properties where a standard is not applicable (retro-fit) as these are deemed
to be above and beyond whats required for regulations?

In my opinion no system not stated or complying with the relevant standards can
be considered for any form of relaxations either building or fire.

I trust I will receive comments back on this issue

William Butler