[softwarelist] Re: While on the subject of Zip archives

  • From: David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Apr 2016 12:59:11 +0100

Hi Chris,

On 20/04/2016 12:41, Chris Johnson wrote:

I guess what we are looking at here is a simple app frontend to one
or more binaries, that extracts the filename and filetype when a file
is dropped on its icon (filer or iconbar) and passes the file to the
appropriate binary with the filename as the input parameter. Not
particularly brain-numbing.

Maybe simple, but would it be useful.

Are the hooks there. If I drop a JPEG on !ChangeFSI (in a filer window) it gets copied to the folder the app is in. Similarly on the desktop backdrop the file gets added to the backdrop.

OTOH anyone who writes an encryption tool can create it as something that sits on the icon bar and allows files to be dragged and dropped on to it. There's also the shell from the Acorn programming stuff that wraps around command line tools and gives them a desktop interface.

The latter surely solves the problem, take a command line tool and put it on the icon bar with drag and drop.

--
David Pilling
www.davidpilling.com