[softwarelist] Re: Trinity font problem

  • From: Peter Newble <peter@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2009 13:30:27 +0000 (GMT)

In article <AE9714CE-6990-4EF6-B1AB-76B3CBB9EFDF@xxxxxxxx>,
   Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 10 Nov 2009, at 11:22, rod a wrote:
> > I also tried using the OVPro produced small caps - and they
> > are different from the purpose built ones! (smaller).

The purpose of 'purpose-built' small caps is to be (roughly) the
same height as the x-height of lower-case letters, and to
harmonise with the full-size capitals and lower case by having
thick strokes, hairlines and (where applicable) serifs of the
same weight. By scaling-down normal capitals by two thirds or
three quarters, the stroke weigths are reduced along with
everything else, and the resulting fake small caps look
comparatively light on the page. Furthermore, as with any letters
designed to be used at smaller sizes, horozontal proportions and
inter-character spacing of small caps are usually a little more
generous, otherwise the eye tends to perceive them as narrow and
tighter than they are. Thus purpose-built small caps are
infinitely better than fake ones.

> SmallCaps size can be adjusted in OvPro via
> Document>Preferences I think the default is 66% ... compared
> to MSWORD, which ISTR is 75%.

The ideal scale factor would vary from font to font, because each
has a different ratio of x-height to capital height. For Trinity
(Times) it would be 67.7%, for Homerton (Helvetica) 72.1%. But
better too large than too small, on grounds of stroke weight.