[softwarelist] Re: Trinity font problem

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Nov 2009 01:15:56 +0100

In message <WsJ$y0Foxd+KFwSq@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <3BC5ED7A-B3E0-42C2-B4F4-0226889BA5AB@xxxxxxxx>, Clive
> Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes
>>All very interesting ... I hadn't realised there are purpose-built
>>small caps fonts. When was the Trinity small caps font introduced in
>>VRPC - it's not

> The phrase "expert sets" springs to mind, there are other special
> versions of fonts. Am I right in thinking that these days the extra
> glyphs are available in Unicode fonts at different code points.

Yes, as far as ligatures are concerned, but that does not happen for
small caps, otherwise you could not switch between normal characters
and small caps easily - you would have to retype your text rather than
just apply a different font. After all, logically, a small caps "a" is
still a lowercase "a", just rendered in a different design.

Unicode does actually have a few "small caps" characters defined, but
it is not even the full alphabet and they are for use in phonetics,
not for typesetting.

Martin