[softwarelist] Re: Transparent GIFs, PostScript and PDF

  • From: John Tytgat <John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 09 Dec 2008 23:00:15 +0200

In message <CFOqINBxrlPJFwW6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> you wrote:

> I did try printing a masked image from OpenOffice (to PostScript) and
> that worked.
>
> Looking at the PostScript generated I would guess the image was printed
> as a lot of small tiles - a trick a bit like the one RISC OS uses.

Which is terrible trick as this gives a lot of reliability problems when
printing or distilling.  Actually this is the number one problem with the
current RISC OS PostScript printer driver and this for many years.  The
right solution is to use PostScript 3 masked images, a construction which
is also possible in PDF.  I don't think we should be worried about
supporting PostScript Level 2 printers which do not have support for
masked images.

You're really sure OpenOffice is not using masked images as well in its PS
output ? Feel free to send me a copy of the PS file as I can easily verify
this myself.

John.
John.Tytgat@xxxxxxxx                             ARM powered, RISC OS driven