[softwarelist] Re: Transparent GIFs, PostScript and PDF

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2008 22:25:43 +0000

In message <493AF548.3050104@xxxxxxxx>, Clive Bonsall <cbonsall@xxxxxxx> writes

I thought transparency was more or less restricted to GIF and PNG (and RISCOS sprite).

and TIFF

problem, and trawled the Internet for hours looking for a solution. Nothing worked, so in a way I'm relieved to know it's a limitation within OPW.

Well...

It seems obvious that it would be a good idea to use the new support for masked images when printing to a PostScript driver, since there is nothing to lose, and I'll see about making that change now.
Thanks, that would certainly be useful.

OK, I've done this, and it is a great improvement. What has not been mentioned is that a transparent bitmap is equivalent to a rotated or skewed bitmap so they suffer from the same problems.

I said "well" above because the limitation is that the new functions are only in Windows NT/2K/XP/Vista, the other branch of the Windows family does not support them. This is not the problem it would have been a few years back.

I'll upload the new version on Sunday - give me time to think about what I have done. I'll say here when the new version is available.