[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS and (application) directories in tars

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:58:09 +0100

Hi,

In message <53730322a4davidpilling-sub@xxxxxxxxx>, Frank de Bruijn <davidpilling-sub@xxxxxxxxx> writes
As a first step one would d.i.v.o.r.c.e. the problem from Netsurf,
because there is the potential for whatever is getting stuck to be in
there.

I honestly can't see how that could be. NetSurf creates a directory with
a set of files somewhere on the disc, I create a tar and drag that
directory to the viewer, creating a copy in the tar. How could NetSurf
possibly get involved with what happens to that copy after that?

Point is, are you saving from NetSurf to disc and then from disc to Tar, having checked that the names are correct - if so NetSurf is not relevant.

On the other hand, which is the test I did, you may be saving direct from NetSurf to Tar. If that is the situation that gives the problem, maybe the files from NetSurf are named wrongly, maybe the way NS interacts with the file system triggers a bug in SparkFS.

To be fair, I can see that the exact layout of files and folders from NS is of some relevance although not specific to NS.