[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS and (application) directories in tars

  • From: Frank de Bruijn <davidpilling-sub@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 07:44:02 +0200 (Custom)

In article <mpro.mqned3002qnvz0348@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.invalid>,
   Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Frank de Bruijn <davidpilling-sub@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> >In article <mpro.mqnbq8000pggo0348@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx.invalid>,
> >   Jeremy Nicoll - zf freelists <jn.fr.lsts.74@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> >   wrote:
> >> Is it Netsurf that's creating the tar, or you?
> >
> >It's always a 'manually' created tar.

> Does the problem only happen when the subdirectories being placed in
> the tar are app ones?  What about, say, non-app subdirs that contain
> non-app subdirs, and non-app subdirs that contain apps?

Can't say for sure, but I get the impression it's mainly application
directories that get messed up (but that could be because I've hardly
stored anything else in there). There has never been more than one level
of directories in the tars I used, by the way. I.e. no subdirectories,
just one or more directories on the top level in the tar.

Anyway, I've decided to stop using tars altogether, as there is no
obvious explanation for a very real problem. As far as I'm concerned,
SparkFS and tars are an unreliable combination.

Regards,
Frank