[softwarelist] Re: SparkFS and (application) directories in tars

  • From: David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 28 Jul 2013 13:25:06 +0100

Hi,

In message <53724a51f9chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
I have done a few quick trials. I get different behaviour than you
(Frank). I find that the contents of the tar seem fine when produced.
If you then 'forget' the tar and then reopen, the filenames are still
correct, but all the filetype information has been lost, all files
being typed as text. Never having produced a tar before, I assume
this is incorrect. I am using SparkFS (v. 1.43) to produce the tar in

Tar has a configuration setting that lets you set how (or perhaps if) filetype info is saved (see choices)

My thought is to check Frank's archive using another tar reading program (Spark, or Frank Lancasters command line, or on another OS) and see if the damage has been done on read or write.

More when I have chance to look at things.