[softwarelist] Re: Snapper - help request

  • From: Chris Johnson <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jun 2010 17:18:40 +0100

In article <5M906tBrYMKMFwcj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,
> I was wondering what happens when 64k sprites are turned loose.

Earlier Selects, and e.g. RISC OS 5 will not understand them. The OS
on a machine using 64k colours/sprites will. For something like
Snapper, which will only meet them on machines running Select 6.20 or
whatever in 64k colours, the OS hopefully does much of the work
transparently.

However, for other apps which might be presented with such sprites,
then they need to understand them at least sufficiently to trap and
convert them back to 32k colours when loading them.

I remain to be convinced that there is a real advantage of 64k
colours over 32k colours in general use.

--
Chris Johnson