[softwarelist] Re: !PDF Import - RISC OS

  • From: David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Jan 2019 12:45:51 +0000

Hi Richard,

On 23/01/2019 10:47, Richard Torrens (lists) wrote:

I see there is a TransPDF for Windows.
Is there a version for RISC OS?

The web page for TransPDF tells you a lot:

https://www.pacificbulbsociety.org/pbswiki/index.php/ErythroniumFour#sibericum

This relies on GhostScript being available and it turns the PDF into an EPS - which is only going to print on a PostScript printer. Although you could rely on the EPS preview if you increased its resolution.

The Trans filters consist of a standard shell and a command line tool that converts between formats. So all you have to do is work out a command line that converts PDF into Sprite (or Draw) and then insert that into the !TransShell.

I've had a look at my RISC OS computer and the web, I'm surprised that I can't find this - I have memories of having produced something that used GhostScript. Google is not what it used to be...

This idea can be useful, I've sometimes loaded PDF or PostScript this way, but it's not wonderful, you have to have GhostScript, it has to have enough memory and sometimes it will fail.

My final thoughts were that if I promoted this I'd disappoint more people than I would please.

--
David Pilling
www.davidpilling.com