[softwarelist] Re: OPro: searching for a style

  • From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2010 08:02:30 GMT

In message <fa36aefc50.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> dated 23 Mar 2010
          Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> in the Find field i type the wildcard \* meaning "any string" and
> leave the Replace field blank.  i expect it to find the next whole
> block that is marked with this style.  but it results in an error:
> "Wild card search text matches the null string."  that's not much
> help.

> what am i misunderstanding?

The error message indicates that \* matches any string including empty
strings - no characters at all - so on its own it is useless.

Try \. - any single character to find the first character marked with
your style. I have played with SRWE and cannot find a way to find the
whole of block with a particular style applied (tested with a style
which has the scope of Selection). I think this is the best option for
Jim.

It seems the wildcard \* is generally 'lazy' - that is it matches the
shortest possible ammount. For example \.\*\. 'any character, any
string, any character' matches 2 characters. If it was 'greedy' it
would match as long a string as possible within the constraints, in
this case would find the whole block in the requested Style.

Anthony

--
Anthony Hilton
ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx