[softwarelist] Re: OPro: "referencing" existing pictures

  • From: Alan Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Feb 2010 22:43:17 GMT

In message <UNrvaQEuqcdLFw93@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <b40078e850.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Jim Nagel
> <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
>>would it make sense to turn them all into "referenced" pictures?
>>are there disadvantages?

> The main problem is the obvious one, the referenced files may get lost
> or separated from the document.

which can happen

:  if you move or rename the folder containing the pictures
:  if you move the whole lot to a different filing system, e.g. from
ADFS to IDEFS or HostFS etc.

If the pictures are in the same directory as the document I *think*
OPro uses relative paths, which will continue to work. Otherwise it
can be a case of saving as DDL, then doing a search and replace in the
DDL.

For this reason I use referenced pictures while creating our monthly
magazine, but once it's done I choose "embed all pictures", and save
the archive copy with them embedded.

--
Alan Adams, from Northamptonshire
alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx