[softwarelist] OPro indexing question and searching for styles

  • From: Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Jul 2009 12:48:08 +0100

another question, still on this albatross book of mine.

someone who knows the subject matter has gone through the file and
highlighted words that are to appear in the index.  we've used an OPro
style for this, called "index", which i think i'm correct in
understanding is what the Idxpro applet wants.  for the moment the
style has a coloured background to make it visible.

the coloured highlighting shows that my helper has sometimes included
a space before or after the tagged word or phrase.

(1) is this going to be a problem for Idxpro?  (ie, is it going to
index "something", " something" and "something " separately or will it
recognize all three variants to be the same thing?)

(2) how can i search in the document for instances of text in a given
style?  (this would be useful to know, even if (1) is a non-problem.)

(3) alternatively, how can i search the DDL for begin-index-style
followed by space (or space followed by close-index-style)?
this would be straightforward for me in Impression DDF, but i can't
get my head round how to deal with those consarned quotemarks used
fore&aft of every (quasi)line of text in DDL.

(just to be clear, i have not actually used Idxpro yet.  i think i
understand that it will use Bookmarks, and that these would be lost in
any DDL saved out.  so that isnt an issue yet.)

i'd be overjoyed to job out the chore of generating the index.  is
there anyone already familiar with using Idxpro who'd be interested in
taking it on as a commission?  this would be after layout is
finalized.  (tagging of words in text is already done, as i said.)

--
Jim Nagel                        www.archivemag.co.uk
   Abbey Press   32 Norbins Rd        (01458) 83 3603