[softwarelist] Re: OPro chapter numbers and contents

  • From: Jhr JMAH van Vredenburch <janvredenburch@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Jul 2009 15:56:31 +0200

In message <af44417c50.jim@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Roger Noble  wrote on 16 Jul :

>> Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>>> also, i'm trying to use the Contents applet (Roger Noble, v2.23, 2003)
>>> to give me a list of the captions used for illustrations in the book.
>>> why does it insist in starting at page 70, ignoring the captions on

>> It should only normally do that if you were using the "Do Contents
>> from Cursor" button and the cursor happened to be on page 70.

> thanks for the quick response, Roger!  thinking i might have clicked
> that button, i did the exercise again with the cursor on page 1 just
> to be sure and used the main "Do contents" button.  same result.

> since my first post, i noticed that a caption on page 129 was not
> picked up by !Contents.  there might be others; i havent checked
> systematically.

> it could be a peculiarity about how i applied the Caption style.
> pictures were already embedded in the main text.  i started adding
> captions beside the embedded pic on the same line, then changed my
> mind and split captions off to a new paragraph.  i'll try giving
> Caption a background colour to see if it gives a clue.

Two things:

1. The Contents applet seeks a certain style. Now if you have applied
different styles to a certain (sub)(sub)Heading, which you intend to
have in the Contents chapter (you do use a separate chapter for this
don't you!) it might miss one if the following order of the applied
styles is wrong. E.g. in a document I have special Headings but
followed by text I need for the Contents page but not for the final
print (non-print). If I get the order wrong the text meant for the
Contents page might not be recognised.

2. The Contents chapter can take several pages. So do precise at which
page number the 1st following chapter should start. Otherwise the page
numbering starts after the *1st* page of the Contents chapter.
  The best way. Make the contents file, see at what page it ends, then
precise the starting page number for the following paragraph,
eventually after deciding if the following chapter should start left
or right. The re-run the Contents applet.

[snip the rest]

--
Greetings,
JohnvV