[softwarelist] Re: OPro chapter numbers and contents

  • From: Roger Noble <rgnoble@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Jul 2009 22:32:55 +0100

Jim Nagel <opro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> also, i'm trying to use the Contents applet (Roger Noble, v2.23, 2003)
> to give me a list of the captions used for illustrations in the book.
> why does it insist in starting at page 70, ignoring the captions on

It should only normally do that if you were using the "Do Contents
from Cursor" button and the cursor happened to be on page 70.

> someone suggested that i should save out a DDL file and then import
> that to a new document, in case various styles and stuff have got
> themselves into a twist.  it might help with the repeated 90-second
> update phenomenon i complained about earlier, he said.
>    does anyone concur?
>    (i know this operation would lose Bookmarks, but i haven't defined
> any yet, so that's not a problem.)

Sometimes saving as DDL does clean up problems with a document. If
doing this does not result in the Contents applet working properly
then let me know: we can try and find out what is going wrong.

> and if i do this, will i need to do each of the 12 chapters
> separately?

You can save the entire document as DDL in one go. Alternatively you
can save individual stories, but my experience of the latter is that
the resultant DDL does not always load successfully: it appears that
one or more objects end up missing from it.

> it would actually be useful if in the new document i can
> define one master page that would be replicated for all chapters.

Each chapter has its own master page. However, when you add a new
chapter you can tell it which chapter to base the new one on, and its
master page gets copied to the new chapter.

Cheers,

Roger

--
Roger Noble          rgnoble@xxxxxxxxxxxx