[softwarelist] Re: New scanner drivers...

  • From: Doug Webb <doug.j.webb@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: David Pilling <davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 06 Apr 2012 10:15:17 +0100

In message <umZefGHGHgfPFwZg@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> Hi,

> I've had an email from Andrew Rawnsley asking how the new scanner driver
> project is going.

> Would you like a new scanner driver and for what - it appears that
> supporting a multifunction device is possible which it never was in the
> past.
David,

Ian Hamilton has done a nice application for some Epson
Multifunctional devices called !MFPxEpson which doesn't use the twain
interface so for Epson's it doesn't make sense to duplicate things
unless you and Ian collaborate and agree on options etc.

!MFPxEpson with GutenPrint at least allows some of the Epson
multifunctional devices to work for printing and scanning on RISC OS.

The latest HP printers also have the ability to send an email of a
file to printout so it would be good to see if some support for the HP
multifunctional devices could be done so there are some additional
options.

The only downside with supporting multifunctional is making sure there
is a printer driver for RISC OS though I suppose the HP ePrint option,
though not ideal , could mitigate some of that.

Doug

--
See and experience the future using ARM Technology - BeagleBoard -xM,
Cortex A8 and RISC OS 5.19.