[softwarelist] Re: New alpha version of DPlngScan

  • From: David Pilling <david@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jan 2019 13:59:57 +0000

Hi Chris,

On 17/01/2019 18:08, Chris Johnson wrote:

1. If you raise a save as dialogue, change the filename (eg add /png)
    then change the filetype for the save, the filename change you
    have just made is immediately lost, the filename reverting to the
    previous name. You have to remember to make the filetype change
    before changing the name.

That is a problem, and it is to my shame that despite being caught out many times I have done nothing about it.

2. Following on from the above: suppose you load a file eg. of type
    sprite. You then save it as type jpeg. If you now perhaps do a
    further edit, and raise the save as again to resave the image, the
    new filename is presented in the writable (assuming the filename
    did change), but the filetype is the previous one ie. the sprite
    filetype of the original image in this example.

I would go one way or the other, keep the new name and new type or the old ones.

DPScan in general saves extracts from files - it as if the only option is "save selection". This is because some of the types like sprite or GIF files may contain more than one sub-image, but DPScan only ever saves one image in a file.

But typically DPScan will be editing single image files and being used as a complete "document" editor.

One solution offer the same name when the same thing is being saved - saving the same sub-image, or when the file only contains one image.

The program only has a "save as..." option. It could for single image files and same sub-image offer a "save" option.

Related, it might be good to give a warning before overwriting existing files.

Perhaps the correct behaviour for "save frame as" would be to offer a new name (not the original name) with extension. The name could be auto generated from the original name and frame number.

Whilst a new save option would offer the original name with no changes.

A favourite application of mine was "set type" by Emmett Spier [1] which back in RISC OS 2 days made setting types easier.

I wonder is there some thing like that allows extensions to be added to RISC OS file names. Select files, go to menu option "add extensions". Or drag to icon bar icon.

[1] from memory.

--
David Pilling
www.davidpilling.com