[softwarelist] Re: Colour in Black and White prints - solved.

  • From: Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 May 2012 14:00:56 +0200

In message <2bWIg5B7wMvPFw5D@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

> In message <529440ee27Paul@xxxxxxxx>, Paul Sprangers <Paul@xxxxxxxx>
> writes
>>Anyhow, the problem is now solved.

> A great relief to me, because what came before sounded complicated.

> Can we have an explanation or (as Steve mentioned) a link to Martin's

First of all, thanks to Steve for remembering what I wrote and
pointing it out here, because I had all forgotten about it.

Explanation: This problem is down to the Ghostscript "Optimization"
settings used for the PDF conversion. PrintPDF presents users with the
standard named settings offered by Ghostscript. That is a sensible
approach, or, rather, it would be a sensible approach if these
settings were any good. Unfortunately, I have not found any of the
standard Ghostscript settings useful. Most of them cause degraded
image quality, and in particular the "Printer" setting does strange
things to colours, too.

That is why the PostScript 3 manual suggests using specific custom
settings that still produce reasonably small files, but without
compromising image quality. This applies to PDF production in general,
not only using the PS3 driver. Users of my word processor applications
may notice that their "Save as PDF" feature does not offer the
standard Ghostscript settings like "Prepress" and "Printer" at all, it
only offers "Ghostscript default" and five predefined custom settings.

Martin