[softwarelist] CMYK problem

  • From: William Lack <williamlack@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Jul 2009 20:27:35 +0100

I've been discussing this with David Pilling for a while and it seems
sensible to widen our discussion to the list.

I work in the field of monumental brasses and for about fifteen years have
been producing a series of (very boring) reference books and also typesetting
several publications in the field. The vast majority of the illustrations are
of brass rubbings with a small amount of greyscale photographs etc.  In the
early days everything was produced camera-ready, but for the last six or
seven years it's been done with PDFs which go straight to an imagesetter.
Everything until recently has involved black and white printing and has been
relatively straightforward.  The work is originated in RO OvPro and is now
exported to Windows OvPro and printed via Acrobat Distiller.  As memory and
disc space used to be expensive, I have always used 1 bpp sprites which have
worked pretty well.  However sprites like these seem to be poor relations in
the graphics world - load them into most of the graphics package and they get
turned into 24 bpp, so I do much of my editing in !Paint.

My current typesetting project includes colour photographs and the printing
company has become quite demanding. They require individual page PDFs which
must be produced from Distiller using their special job options and
everything must be in the CMYK colour space.

The text has been sorted out fairly easily with David's help. His advice was
to enable the direct PostScript option, define all colours in CMYK space and
print to a PS printer driver (so Distiller is OK).

So, having edited the ten documents making up the publication and produced
100-odd new PDFs, it then transpired the images weren't up to scratch, as
these were still in the RGB colour space. The colour JPEGs are apparently OK;
they will go through to the imagesetter and be converted to CMYK.  The mono
and greyscale images are the problem. They will also convert to CMYK but will
end up on all four plates, not just on the black plate.

So the images need to be converted to CMYK. ATM the simplest way that I have
found to edit them is to load them into !Artworks and export them as CMYK
bitmaps.  These have all the black solely on the Black plate and the
resulting output seems to be what the printer wants.

I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions to simplify this process.

--
William Lack