[softwarelist] Re: CMYK problem

  • From: Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Jul 2009 14:05:52 +0100

In message <f367087750.martin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
          Martin Wuerthner <public@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <3709ce7650.Ant@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           Anthony Hilton <ajh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> In message <5076c0b683williamlack@xxxxxxxxx>
>>           William Lack <williamlack@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>> [...]
>>> So the images need to be converted to CMYK. ATM the simplest way that
>>> I have found to edit them is to load them into !Artworks and export
>>> them as CMYK bitmaps.  These have all the black solely on the Black
>>> plate and the resulting output seems to be what the printer wants.

>>> I'd be grateful if anyone has any suggestions to simplify this process.

>> When you have imported the sprites into OPro try processing them to
>> Duotone and set the Lower colour to CMYK Black and the Upper colour to
>> CMYK White. The View menu > Separations options now show the same 1bpp
>> sprite only on the black plate.

> Yes, that is correct. However, when you print that from the RISC OS
> version of OP the sprite is still printed as an RGB sprite, not as a
> CMYK sprite as one might expect, so William needs to investigate
> whether the same is true when printing from OPW.

Thank you for the clarifications and corrections of my
misunderstandings, Martin.

My other thought would be to try printing just the blacK separation
from Opro (or OPW) for distilling to a PDF, but I don't know whether
the black would still be in RGB space or the colour jpegs would be
included and then the print shop could separate the resulting PDF.

Probably adding to confusion again ;-)

Anthony
--
Anthony Hilton