[softwarelist] Re: Address and payment changes

  • From: Tim Powys-Lybbe <tim@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: davidpilling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Apr 2012 01:55:11 +0100

On 3 Apr at 16:41, Chris Hughes <lists@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> In message <O4R2YgDjuvePFwE6@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>           David Pilling <flist@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> > In message <a703a27a52.Alan.Adams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, Alan
> > Adams <alan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes
> > > You can. And Paypal don't make any extra charges to the buyer.
> > > They deduct approx 5% from the amount passed to the seller.
>
> > Roughly the same as World Pay (but WP have a big annual charge too).
>
> > There's not much reason for physical media anymore - once the
> > Ovation Pro manuals are gone I will be distributing software
> > electronically.
>
> In that case just change to Paypal.
>
> I personally don't trust paypal, but thats probably just me.

I share your lack of trust but have slowly adopted a policy of allowing
no firm permission to repeat debit my credit card or bank account.  That
is apart from direct debits which the bank has to stop whenever I so
instruct them.  The bank will not stop recurring debits from a credit
card company, not without a Big Fuss that is.  "Once bitten is twice
Shy."

But using a credit card through PayPal does not involve any repeat debit
authority so should be OK.  Certainly I've had no problem so far.

--
Tim Powys-Lybbe                                           tim@xxxxxxxxx
             for a miscellany of bygones: http://powys.org/