[daveworld] Re: Trudging Through The Petri Dish

  • From: Kathy Johnson <twoshoes@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: daveworld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 06 Jan 2021 17:55:08 -0600

My phone has a setting that reminds me how much time I've spent on FB,
Twitter, or Instagram. It's a godsend. Otherwise I, like most people, will be on longer than I intended. I asked myself how much time in a day I wanted to spend looking at those
sites, and decided 30 minutes total. That's only 10 minutes each and you know what, I don't notice myself
feeling as if I have missed anything important. A friend has given me numerous colouring books and though I don't find
them all that relaxing (my neck and shoulders don't need that posture,
apparently), they are great to have handy during TV commercials, which
I've come to abhor. Sorry to hear about your niece. That must be hard; nieces are dear. xo
Kate

On 2021-01-06 9:30 am, Glenna Hanley wrote:

I have a love/hate relationship with Facebook. It is a big time waster and the worst thing I do is, when I am on my way to bed and turning off my computer, I will just check in to see if there is anything big on FB. An hour later, and it's now midnight, I am still on there. A bad habit I hope to break in 2021. However I had a niece who just died on Dec. 2. She lived in Nova Scotia and at that time we were not allowed to cross the border from New Brunswick.(and we are back in that phase again) So FB did give us an opportunity to share our grief a bit through an FB family group that my son had set up. Still, not the same as having a big wake and funeral, which is what would be normal for my family. Speaking of colouring reminds me that I got colouring books for a gift at Christmas three or four years ago. I only used them for one winter. This might be a good time to drag them out again. Thanks for the reminder Steve.
------ Original Message ------ From: "Steve Crane" <steve.crane@xxxxxxxxx> To: daveworld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: 1/6/2021 2:26:33 AM Subject: [daveworld] Re: Trudging Through The Petri Dish
Cheryl-Lee (who calls herself Cheryl now), one of my nieces in the UK (Wales) got COVID and was very sick for a long time but that is as much as I know. Her mother Anita (also in UK but England) was the only one of Mela's four siblings she still communicated with until somewhere in early 2020 when she upset Mela by saying Mela had all the surgeries she had because she chose to and should stop complaining. In the last month or two they have started communicating again but only very superficially. It seems that if they get into any history or conversational depth they set each other off and go incommunicado again. So I just hear the odd bit about Chezz's (nickname) condition which is apparently improving slowly.
Sometimes I wonder if I should have stayed on Facebook so I would get info like this first hand, but then I think of all the crap that's on there. Mela also got off Facebook when I did, but a few months ago went back on. She is being conscious of avoiding toxic groups that used to upset her. Who would think that people in art groups (colouring, etc.) would be so nasty to each other. Anyway she is now on some paint-by-numbers groups that seem to be less toxic; paint-by-numbers being her new passion and the only art she is really doing right now.
You hear the statistics relating to COVID but it's all just numbers and seems rather unreal until you see news reports like Durban bride-to-be and both parents die of Covid-19, three days apart [1], that really bring home just how dangerous it is. We think of people with pre-existing health conditions being at risk, but really anyone is; it's like a lottery with really bad prizes. No telling whether you'll get it, and if you do, how bad it will be.
It fascinates me how much of a convenience culture there is in the US. Reading
about terrible shredded lettuce shortages just makes me shake my head; they
don't even sell shredded lettuce here. Seemingly you can make your own from a
head of lettuce with just a knife, but that's a terrible waste of minutes, so
it needs to be bought ready to go. We get a small selection of prepared
vegetables here; coleslaw for instance but I still make my own from time to
time. I will admit to using a food processor to do the shredding of red cabbage
and grating of carrots when I do though.

Steve Crane about.me/stevecrane [2]

On Wed, 6 Jan 2021 at 06:41, Glenna Hanley <ghanley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
And another thing, I don't think we know yet if getting COVID does provide immunity. But there is so much bad information out there on the net and social media.
------ Original Message ------ From: "Scott Ransom" <mr.ransom@xxxxxxxxx> To: daveworld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: 1/5/2021 8:26:17 PM Subject: [daveworld] Re: Trudging Through The Petri Dish
My sister is convinced that she already had covid, although she's never been tested, and therefore "can't get it again", and therefore is running around like covid is no big deal. I think the only reason she even wears a mask is because "they" make her. I've tried explaining to her that she could still be giving it to people, and maybe being so la-di-da with other peoples health might not be the best of choices, but it's like talking to a kitchen table. She's got all sorts of medical theories, although her professions have tended towards "hair stylist" and "house cleaner" rather than epidemiologist, nurse or even first-aid provider. But she DOES watch super far right "news" channels like OANN and Newsmax (also so she can proudly say she doesn't "just watch Fox"), and they keep her informed yes they certainly do at least they say they do.
Scott
On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 3:45 PM Glenna Hanley <ghanley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
I have anxiety all the time Marya about my brother. He has COPD and other health issues. He struggles to breathe on good days. He is home a lot but his wife runs here, there and everywhere. She seems to think he is safe as long as he is at home. She doesn't seem to realize she could take it home with her. Our province just went back into the orange phase today. It is not the full lock down (which is the red phase) but we are supposed to stay at home as much as possible. As for food, I am actually tired of eating chocolates and chicken bones (this is a sweet, sugary pink coating with a cinnamon filling made by a local and 100 plus year old company called Ganongs. I don't know why this candy is called chicken bones). I am ready for a bland diet of potatoes, pasta and pancakes and stuff like that. I didn't know anyone personally who had Covid until my daughter-in-law's niece got sick. But they live in Norway so not anyone close where I live. She is 18 or 19. What is scary is now we are beginning to hear abut 40- year -olds dying from it.
------ Original Message ------ From: "Marya F" <maryaf@xxxxxxxxx> To: daveworld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx Sent: 1/5/2021 2:53:24 PM Subject: [daveworld] Re: Trudging Through The Petri Dish
Gahhh. Tacos sound great (and/or it's heading towards lunch time).

Stay safe out there. I'm probably overly worried about this new strain. But I
am worried. Mostly about my mom who just allows herself to be exposed. She
thinks she's being safe, but seriously. She is still going into her office
every day (she and my stepfather own the place. They go in as do support staff
and construction workers.). Heavy sigh.

One of our friends is a GP at Kaiser in LA. One of their ER docs died this
morning of covid.

I'm so ready for this to be over.
In the meantime, tacos!
Marya

(new year and hovering around inbox zero, so not so overwhelmed by email at this moment.)
On Tue, Jan 5, 2021 at 10:47 AM Scott Ransom <mr.ransom@xxxxxxxxx> wrote: Well, I decided that while I could technically last many more months without going to the store, they would be months of probably nutritionally deficient filler like ramen and spaghetti. Which is fine for a while, but not really a good long-term lifestyle. And so, rather than die of malnutrition instead of covid, I decided this morning around 4:30 to head for the supermarket.

While I'm sure clouds of sticky viral mist are now common outside my door, I
think what must have been freak weather conditions allowed me to slip between
or around them.  Of course, I may just be thinking of the familiar clouds of
the old virus.  The new, evolved, and much more infectious clouds are invisible
without infrared goggles, and Amazon sold out of those, like, immediately.
Although I bathed myself in x-rays and a light spray of sulfuric acid when I
got home, we'll still have to see in five to ten days if food was worth it.  It
may not have been.

Taco's tonight, though.  Also, they were dumping Christmas candy, so I may have
overbought on waxy holiday themed chocolates as well.

Scott

Links:
------
[1]