[daveworld] Re: Attn: Glenna

  • From: "Glenna Hanley" <ghanley@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: daveworld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, daveworld@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 03 Jan 2021 23:18:13 +0000

Hi Kate, and Happy 2021 to everyone.
Wow Kate. I can clearly see Ann (or was it Anne, proofreader?) standing down there in her corner of the newsroom (which became your corner) and , yep, hand on the hip, complaining about something.
Not knowing the "Ann" Kate speaks of, Scott, that comment of mine may sound like an insult. But quite the opposite. It was clearly a compliment for Kate.
Ann worked at that newspaper as proofreader for several years and I don't know if I ever saw her smile. She was always complaining about the job, the reporters, the editor, right up and down the line. She used to complain to me about the way I walked across the newsroom. Apparently I scuffed me feet. (That might have had something to do with frequently putting in 14 hour-work days - with no overtime pay.) She was an unhappy woman. She even refused to go to her son's wedding because he married a "foreigner". I think she was Italian.
Kate you were cool. (and still are). Total opposite personality from Ann.
I think Ann would be 86 or 87 now. Wonder if she is still alive?
I am really bad about keeping in touch with people after I move away. A terrible person. If it wasn't for Facebook I wouldn't be in touch with any of the friends and co-workers from Alberta.
I have moved around quite a bit and after I leave a place I may send a Christmas card to a few friends in the first year, fewer the next and then, none.
I know some of you have moved a lot. I was commenting to someone once about how a lot of Americans are moving all the time. I got a raised eyebrow in response.
I have lived in five Canadian provinces, nine cities and small towns. And, after all that, ended up in my home province and about an hour's drive from the town where I was born.
Hard to keep track of people from that many places. Some people are better at it.