[dance-tech] Re: theory query

  • From: "Johannes Birringer" <Johannes.Birringer@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 4 Nov 2006 21:32:23 -0000

hello all

indeed, an unusual question, we've never had a Marxist debate on the
means/relations of production on our dance tech lists..

(this has been an interesting autumn, though, so far)

as to further references for study, one of the dance critics that jumps to my
mind is Randy Martin, who has written interestingly and provocatively on motion
as a social force. See his essay "Dance and its Others [theory, state, nation &
socalism]", in Andre Lepecki, ed., Of the Presence of the Body, Middletown:
Wesleyan Univ. Press, 2004, pp. 47-63, and his earlier books, Critical Moves
(1998) and Performance as Political Act (1990).

Thanks, Matt, for your reply, and for the critical response to "Sea Unsea".  If
I get the time next week, I shall add some comments on "3 Atmospheric Studies"
and "Desh"  (Rosas)

regards
Johannes Birringer
Dap-Lab, London
http://www.brunel.ac.uk/dap

<<< Matt wrote>>

Marxist critiques of dance are normally associated with feminist
perspectives, so issues of labour & (dance)technology are usually
superseded by gender & (dance)technology. I'm assuming you ask your
question in a 'non-gendered' sense so I'll respond accordingly.

Searching the archive of both this list and the old list no one has
raised your specific question. I can't recall any dance texts that
explore that specific space, perhaps someone else knows? The question
is dependant on an understanding of the dance/technology which is only
just starting to settle. Most dance-tech texts highlight connections
rather than looking for answers, so its doubtful you will find
critical analysis.

MG