[dance-tech] moderation

  • From: "Birringer, Johannes" <johannes.birringer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jan 2006 19:47:08 -0000

Hello all:

I agree with Simon,  thanks for this response.
[the list was started by Mark Coniglio and myself, so I guess we set it going
and were hoping, as you point out, that it  will come alive and sustain itself
through lively use of members who use it responsibly and know about the
automated functions,  as we all remember them from HAL and Kubrick's movie.
When the automated brain becomes strange, we modify it, so that it can only
remember the early songs, 'Daisy, or A Bicycle Built For Two,' etc].

Talking about songs, I saw a terrific dance concert Thursday night, "M
saudade,"  created collaboratively by three young dancers from Bill Forysthe's
company and directed by Ayman Harper, who were hanging out in Houston and found
time to make a piece with some friends, including digital film sections by
Tobin Del Cuore (Hubbard Street Dance Chicago) that left me breathless.  I will
try to sketch some impressions of the piece and its conceptual core in a later
mail, and I do encourage members of the list to send in occasional reviews or
comments on new work, so that we can keep up with creative manifestations as
they occur around the world.

regards
Johannes Birringer
Mother Dog Studios
Houston, TX
www.aliennationcompany.com

Simon wrote

I do not think that a list needs to be moderated unless there is explicit
misuse of that list (spam, inappropriate flaming, etc). Until that
eventuates (it might not, but it probably will) I don't think we need to
have a list moderator.

There are ways of automating certain functions of a moderator (limiting
email to that from recognised list members only filters out spam) and so
long as the list management software we are using can do that then hopefully
the list owner (Johannes I guess) can arrange for that.

If the list service we are using cannot do this we could consider migrating
the list to a more robust system (eg: JISC's academic listserver) where such
filtering and other automated functions can be implimented (eg: no html
mailings, no attachments (thus no virus's), etc). If necessary I could
arrange for that to happen.

Other than this sort of light-touch protection I believe the best lists are
left to their own devices. They survive so long as they are used vitally.
They die when they are misused or not used at all. Everything has its
natural life cycle.

Best

Simon

On 07.01.06 01:23, "orpheus@xxxxxxxx" <orpheus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As to "formal" moderators, Yukihiko, i am not sure whether I have the time, or
> Mark, to
> be a formal moderator, We started up this list to have a quick and efficient
> discussion
> group and platform for uncensored postings, done directly by members.  So far
> we
> have had minimal interference from spam, and we we hope that this continues,
> and the
> list can be self-generative.  What do other think?
>
> with regards
> Johanes Birringer

This email is intended solely for the addressee.  It may contain private and
confidential information.  If you are not the intended addressee, please take
no action based on it nor show a copy to anyone.  In this case, please reply to
this email to highlight the error.  Opinions and information in this email that
do not relate to the official business of Nottingham Trent University shall be
understood as neither given nor endorsed by the University.
Nottingham Trent University has taken steps to ensure that this email and any
attachments are virus-free, but we do advise that the recipient should check
that the email and its attachments are actually virus free.  This is in keeping
with good computing practice.