[dance-tech] Re: Spain and more

  • From: Simon Biggs <simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <dance-tech@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 07 Jan 2006 09:27:45 +0000

I do not think that a list needs to be moderated unless there is explicit
misuse of that list (spam, inappropriate flaming, etc). Until that
eventuates (it might not, but it probably will) I don't think we need to
have a list moderator.

There are ways of automating certain functions of a moderator (limiting
email to that from recognised list members only filters out spam) and so
long as the list management software we are using can do that then hopefully
the list owner (Johannes I guess) can arrange for that.

If the list service we are using cannot do this we could consider migrating
the list to a more robust system (eg: JISC's academic listserver) where such
filtering and other automated functions can be implimented (eg: no html
mailings, no attachments (thus no virus's), etc). If necessary I could
arrange for that to happen.

Other than this sort of light-touch protection I believe the best lists are
left to their own devices. They survive so long as they are used vitally.
They die when they are misused or not used at all. Everything has its
natural life cycle.

Best

Simon

On 07.01.06 01:23, "orpheus@xxxxxxxx" <orpheus@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> As to "formal" moderators, Yukihiko, i am not sure whether I have the time, or
> Mark, to
> be a formal moderator, We started up this list to have a quick and efficient
> discussion
> group and platform for uncensored postings, done directly by members.  So far
> we
> have had minimal interference from spam, and we we hope that this continues,
> and the
> list can be self-generative.  What do other think?
>
> with regards
> Johanes Birringer
>

> Ludmila Pimentel <ludmilapimentel@xxxxxxxxxxx> said:
>

>> hello all...
>>
>> I am looking for some participants in this list that work in Spain,
>> I am living in Valencia, doing my doctoral at UPV, and it will be great to
>> know more about the works of you!!!!!
>> Ludmila Pimentel

Simon Biggs
simon@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
http://www.littlepig.org.uk/

Professor, Art and Design Research Centre
Sheffield Hallam University, UK
http://www.shu.ac.uk/schools/cs/cri/adrc/research2/