[ctw] Thanks, Tom!

  • From: Cory Rau <cory@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 09:18:32 -0400

I'd like to just take this opportunity to say two things:

1. ASSP has been great. I've had it installed for 3 weeks or so. I replaced Counteragent, SimpleText Filter and all the DNSBL filters I had installed in EIMS's Filters folder. I also removed all of EIMS's greylisting, the SMTP host file, a number of EIMS-side filters etc. Now, EIMS is left to do what it does very well...be a mail server. When I used to get a report of a false positive, I had several places to look because I sometimes couldn't be sure if it was Counteragent, SimpleText, a DNSBL or EIMS. Life has been simplified. I also like the fact that ASSP informs the sender that his/her mail didn't come through...unlike Counteragent which throws purported spam to the bitbucket. For all the simplification, ASSP is actually blocking more spam and making less mistakes than anything I've used in the past...including products that cost a nice chunk of change. I'm finally nearly satisfied with the amount of spam reaching my users. I'm teaching ASSP though and I'm hopeful for near-zero bleed-through shortly.

2. Tom has been an immeasurable help. Prior to his releasing the installers, he worked with me via iChat for the better part of two days plus; sending me config files, install files, working through errors...the whole nine yards. And he never asked for a dime or made me feel like I was asking too much. Though I have a fair amount of Perl experience, my UNIX skills leave something to be desired in all truthfulness but unlike a certain software author we all know, he never gave me any kind of attitude (even though he probably would have been justified).

Though I've thanked him personally, I just wanted to express in a more public forum how helpful Tom has been and what an asset he is to those of us in the EIMS world.

Regards,
Cory
Circle The Wagons
manage: //www.freelists.org/list/ctw post: mailto:ctw@xxxxxxxxxxxxx